Are you thinking about installing a security system for your home but feel you’re not equipped to determine exactly what you need? If so, you’re certainly not alone, as most of us have no idea what type of system we would need or the questions you should ask when talking with a security provider.
Deciding the right home security provider is, in fact, the answer to any questions you might have. Once you have the right provider, they will take care of all your concerns. In order to choose the right one for your needs, there are specific questions for which you’ll need answers.
For instance, how long have they been in business? Experience is crucial and you will want a company that has been in operation for a certain number of years. Longevity generally means you’re dealing with an established and successful business. Other things to consider:
- Research the top equipment lines and check to see what brands the company uses. You will, of course, want reliable equipment if you’re investing in a security system. Also make sure you know the various features (notification system, remote access, etc.) available at the company.
- Is the company licensed and are warranties available? You will want a security company that operates with the laws and regulations in your area. Warranties will also be the norm for respected companies, as they will have no issues backing their systems and services.
- How much does it cost to install a system? Make sure you get costs up front and determine what those costs cover (equipment, installation, monitoring, storage, etc.)
- Where is the company located? These days many companies use their websites to offer online services. However, a local company is preferred because they know your area, can easier maintain your system and you can actually speak to someone in person.
- How often will your system be checked? This is key as regular maintenance is important to ensure that your system is working around the clock.
- Does the company have their own Central Station or do they subcontract a mega center to monitor you alarm system? Where is the Central Station located?
- Are there any “hidden” charges? Make sure you know if there are any extra charges the figure into the cost.
- If you move, what happens to your system? Some companies will let you take your system with you and allow you to keep the same contract but some won’t. Make sure you know the company’s policy regarding moving.
- Does the system qualify for a home insurance discount? This largely depends on your insurance provider but some systems do qualify.
Don’t be shy about getting answers to these questions before deciding on a security system provider. After all, it’s your money and your home and you deserve to know all the details. Call one of our Fleenor Security representatives today, they will be happy to answer all of your security system questions.