Home Automation…What It Is and the Trends
Wouldn’t it be great if you could easily control all the lighting, air and heating, entertainment and security features in your home? The good news is you can – through home automation.
Home automation is the automatic and electronic control of all household features, appliances and activity. Assorted control systems in the home are part of this automation, some of which may be concentrated control of appliances, windows, HVAC systems, security locks on doors and outside gates, etc.
Over the last few years, home automation has become quite popular – by 2020 it is expected to grow by more than 400 percent – as it takes a lot of stress and worry out of everyday life. And one of the best things about it is how easy it can be managed, via your smartphone, laptop or desktop computer or tablet. If you are entertaining an automated home system, you should educate yourself about the various systems and features that are offered.
Some of the trends in home automation for 2017 include:
- Remote adjustment of lights. Users can turn lights on inside their house from their cars via their smartphones.
- Better home security systems. These systems allow you to receive live video of your home so you can check on teens left alone in the house, or make sure your pets are OK, as well as enable you to receive alerts on your smartphone.
- Smart door locks. Your home’s door locks can be controlled through automation by programming them to identify the owner’s approach to the house and unlocking the doors.
- Voice technology for smart homes. Before long nearly every component of home automation should be controllable with voice commands. We’re seeing this now through voice-powered assistant items like Amazon’s Alexa.
- 3D printing solutions for home renovation. Advanced printing techniques will allow homeowners to personalize renovations and should help decrease remodeling costs.
- Smarter thermostats. In 2017, more zone-based thermostat sales should increase. These thermostats, which are programmable through a smartphone, laptop, etc., save power as they heat only the rooms in which people are. These thermostats also are more pleasing to the eye aesthetically, making them fit in more easily with your home’s décor.
- Smart sound systems. New innovations are being made in home entertainment systems so that homeowners can listen to music, books, etc., while going about their daily routine as speakers can be adjusted with mobile apps.
- Being able to get better sleep. This should be big this year as these systems, which involve attaching a clip to your pillow, will monitor the quality and duration of sleep, along with any disturbances you may encounter. These systems can adjust the light, temperature and humidity to the ideal level to ensure that you get the best possible sleep.
- Connect your kitchen. Over the next couple of years you’ll see a number of kitchen tools and appliances that can be controlled through a mobile application. A smart kitchen will allow you to receive notifications when your need to replenish your refrigerator or when your washer’s cycle is complete.
- Smart sprinkler systems. Not only can you control these systems remotely, they will adjust themselves based on the weather, humidity and soil nature.
- Remote house cleaning. Robotic vacuums are already quite popular and that trend will continue to grow. Powered with advanced sensors, these systems can clean your entire house and you can control it through your smartphone.