You’re taking the family away for a great vacation and you’ve made sure your Fleenor Total Connect Services Security System has been activated. Now your attention turns to making certain your trip is as safe as possible.
First, if you’re driving your vehicle it needs to be checked out. Secondly, you need to keep the kids safe and entertained during your time away from home.
Regarding your vehicle, the following are some great tips to consider before hitting the road:
- Take your car in to have a tune-up. Make sure the tires are inflated at the right pressure, the oil has been changed recently, you have wiper fluid, the battery is fully operational, etc. Don’t forget to make sure your spare tire is usable too!
- Inspect your child safety seats if you have little ones that still use them to be sure that they’re in good working order.
- Update your emergency kit and be sure you have a flashlight, phone charger, a blanket, water and jumper cables.
- When packing put the heaviest bags in the lowest spot and toward the center of your vehicle. Tie down bulky items like strollers and make sure you can always see out of the windows.
- Never drive while sleepy. Get a good night’s sleep before you hit the road and if you get tired, pull over and take a nap or have another adult do the driving.
- If you don’t have a GPS system in your car, download a good cell phone app, like Waze or Google Maps. Or go the old-fashioned route and use a map!
One of the biggest challenges that come with traveling with children is figuring out how to keep them entertained during long drives. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Each child should have a backpack with some of their favorite toys, games, etc. Trust us, this goes a long way in making a trip successful. Craft supplies are also a great way to pass time.
- Have plenty of snacks on hand and also bring a cooler for veggies, drinks, etc. Not only will it keep the kids happy, you won’t have to stop constantly to fill up.
- If your children have iPads, cell phones, or portable DVD players before you leave make sure they’re fully changed.
- Make the trip a learning experience for the kids. Pick up some children’s geography book that tells the kids about the cool things in each state.
- Talk to your kids about your trip, what they’re looking forward to, what they like at each stop. Don’t let them stay on the electronic gadgets the entire time!
- Play some great music that the whole family likes and sing along together.
You’re on vacation and you want everything to go as smoothly as possible so make sure your car is in great shape and your kids have plenty to do to keep them occupied. Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to a spectacular family vacation!