Home Security Tips During Your Holiday Vacation
Getting ready to head off for your holiday vacation you’ve been planning since last holiday season? If you’re leaving your house empty, make sure you take every precaution possible to keep it from being targeted by thieves. You may think ‘No, not in my neighborhood,” but that’s exactly the way criminals want you to think. If you want to keep your home safe while you’re away, take the following steps to help you avoid home invasions or other incidents:
- Install a home security system. This is one of the most protective services you can provide for your home and your valuables.
- Ask a neighbor, relative or friend to check on your house while you’re gone. Give them a key so they can enter the house daily to make sure there are no issues.
- Think about adding remote control, video, and home automation to your security system which can help turn lights on/off and know who is coming and going.
- Don’t put anything about your vacation on social media. If you post about being at the ball game that lets people know that your house is empty and would-be thieves, who might be friends of friends, could come calling.
- If you still have an answering machine, don’t leave a detailed message on it about when you’re coming home.
- Think about letting the police know if you’re going to be gone for more than two or three days.
- If you have an emergency key that you usually leave outside somewhere, don’t leave it while you’re on vacation.
- Don’t close your curtains when you leave – unless you always keep them closed. Doing anything out of the ordinary could tip off anyone looking to break into your home.
- Don’t leave the lights on the whole time you’re gone because somebody will definitely notice if all your lights are on at 3 in the morning.
- If you don’t have someone picking up your mail, put a stop on it and newspapers while you’re away. Nothing screams that nobody’s at home like seeing multiple newspapers in the yard or a box full of mail.
Just by taking these simple precautions, you’ll feel less stressed, worry less and
enjoy your holiday more!